Area 2 Newsletter
Pennnwriters Area 2 Happenings and News
Hello! I'm Katie Yelinek, the Area 2 representative. Please email me at area2rep [at] pennwriters.org or kathryn [at] kathrynyelinek.com if I can help you in any way.
The Area 2 critique group is meeting again. It's current home is a church in Berwick. For information about the next meeting, contact Dave Freas, quillracer [at] pa.metrocast.net.
Congratulations to Maxim W. Furek, whose book, Coal Region Hoodoo: Paranormal Tales from Inside the Pit, described as “A fascinating look into Pennsylvania’s paranormal wormhole through a never-seen-before sociological and popular culture lens," was just published by Beyond the Fray Publishing.
Congratulations to Debbie Reynolds on the publication of The Dominant Idea and Other Stories. This short-story collection, edited by Debbie, contains previously unpublished stories by the late Herbert E. Stover.
It's almost time for the next meeting on April 12 at 7pm. Area member and short story writer Jim Breyfogle will speak about publishing a series, including tie-in merchandising.
[Zoom info redacted for the web. Contact Katie for the link.]
I'd love to include your writing successes here. Any publication, prize, speaking engagement, or other milestone counts! Email me your information, and I'll include it in the upcoming newsletter. Deadline is the first of every month.
Pennwriters Organization-wide news
Registration now open! The next Pennwriters conference is coming up May 19-21 at the Pittsburgh Marriott. The Friday Keynote speaker is award winning Lesa Cline-Ransome. The Saturday luncheon speaker is Madhu B. Wangu. Check upcoming issues of The Penn Writer for information on workshops.
If you would like to sell your book at the conference, please fill out this book order form.
The April online course is Developing Your Full-Length Screenplay with instructor Diana Botsford. This course is Tuesday nights from 7:00-9:00.
Reminder, all 2023 courses are moving to a live face-to-face format using Zoom. Here are the currently scheduled courses:
- June - Tuesday Nights 7-8pm - Craft: Putting the Art & Science of the Writing Process to Work for You - Instructor: Kathleen Shoop
- July-Sundays 1-2pm-Watch Your Gas Milage: Cutting Words and Writing Tight-Instructor: Kathy Otten
- August--Tuesdays 7-8pm--Self-Publishing 101-Instructor: Abigail Drake
- September - Tuesday Nights 7-8pm - Romancing Your Muse: The Art of Retreating From Home - Instructor: Kathleen Shoop
- October- Tuesdays 7-8pm-Plotting Your Book Out Chapter to Chapter by Chapter- Instructor: Abigail Drake
- November-Tuesdays 7:30-9:30-Topics in Warfare for Writers-Instructor: Timons Esaias
That's it for now. Happy Spring, everyone!